More Than Just a Bath Tub Full of Water
Hydrotherapy is the therapeutic use of hot and cold water to influence circulation. Sometimes called water therapy, or water cure, hydrotherapy has scientifically proven healing effects on the whole body.
The simplest forms of hydrotherapy are the application of hot packs to relax tight muscles and and ice packs to reduce inflammation and calm such traumas as sprains. But hydrotherapy is much more powerful than hot and cold packs!
Studies have shown that hydrotherapy can improve immune function, reduce lymphatic and fluid congestion, regulate metabolism, correct circulatory imbalances, promote tissue healing, and Influence thermoregulation
Some typical hydrotherapy applications we use at our clinic or teach people how to use at home include:
- Contrast Therapy
- Aternating hot and cold water applications to the body; excellent for pain relief.
- Constitutional Therapy
- Hot and cold packs applied to abdomen and back to improve immune and metabolic function.
- Foot Baths
- Hot and cold foot baths have been traditionally used to lower fever and increase circulation
- Graduated Baths
- Progressive cold baths to improve circulation
- Ice Soaks
- Hands, feet, or limbs immersed in ice water to control pain and inflammation.
- Sitz Baths
- Traditional hydrotherapy to influence circulation and function of pelvic organs.
- Paraffin Baths
- Use of hot paraffin wax to provide deep thermal flow to extremities or body parts.
- Ice Massage
- Use of ice to massage body part to reduce inflammation
- Steam Baths
- Promote sweating, cleansing, and detoxification.
- Spinal Packs
- Use of hot and cold packs to influence nervous system.
- Enemas and Colonics
- Internal cleansing of colon using water (we refer out for colonics).
Hydrotherapy in the hands of a skilled therapist is a safe and effective way to help regulate physiological function, relieve pain, and promotes healing and relaxation.
Looking to improve your health and quality of life? Learn how to get started with wholistic medicine.
Our natural remedies are selected by our herbalist to ensure the highest quality. Check out this month’s featured herb.